Monday, March 29, 2010

Wikis and podcasts

Definitions:
Wiki: A type of website that allows visitors to easily add, remove or otherwise edit and change some available content, sometimes without the need for registration.
Podcasting: A multimedia file distributed over the internet using syndication feeds for playback on mobile devices and personal computers ... distinguished from other digital audio formats by its ability to be downloaded automatically using software capable of reading feed formats such as RSS.
I found these definition from "Net Pedagogy Portal" which has a great glossary with clear explanations for everything we have been studying. Here is the link:
http://www.thewebworks.bc.ca/netpedagogy/glossary.html

Anyway, yesterday we spent a little time looking at Wikis. I must say of all the social networking sites we have looked at, this one I liked the least. Messy. I found it really messy. Everyone editing a page, putting whatever they want on it - where are the controls, the ORDER???? While I'm not a stickler for order, the front page of our class wiki began to resemble my lounge room - bits of my son's clothes here, my daughter's makeup there, my books over in that corner ... you get the idea. Perhaps when a group of people decide to start a Wiki, they firstly plan where everything goes and how, and have someone control the content if "visitors" are allowed to edit. It got me thinking, if I go onto a Wiki (one where I didn't need to register) could I delete masses of content at will, just because I was having a bad day? Big disadvantage.
We also touched on Podcasts but I have not spent enough time looking at them to offer and opinion. Perhaps within the next few days ...

No comments:

Post a Comment