Friday, March 19, 2010

Difficulties in creating a citation

I was just about ready to shut the computer down and put this citation exercise to rest (it has been haunting me all week) when I saw Leonie's comment to my previous posting: Leonie would like me to comment on the difficulties I have had in creating a citation ("difficulties" by the way is a COMPLETE understatement!)
I still do not know if I have done the citation properly, I'm just hoping for the best.
My first question concerned the author. On the Technorati page she appeared as Jayhawk. On her blog she is Jenny Levine. Who do I use? I also could not remember which date to use and was having trouble finding the sponsor (I actually thought it might be Technorati). This is Leonies answer:
For your bibliographic citation you need to put the author on the blog itself - Jenny Levine. All the details from the citation need to be taken from the blog itself not the Technorati site. For the date, always give the latest date - so look at the most recent blog post! The sponsor/publisher is the organisation that has published this blog. By viewing the source information (click on page - view source, then look at the title /url and it gives shifted librarian then word press) I was able to work out that it is Word Press. You can do some research on Google to find where wordpress are located.

So off I went onto Google and put in Word Press thinking I was researching an organisation, or something concrete at the very least. How silly of me, how easy would that have been! Wordpress is some sort of open source software used for blogs. How do I find a location for this?????
As always Leonie came to my resuce when she wrote:

Look at the wordpress url - does it have a country after it or not? If not it is US.

Now, hopefully I abbreviated it correctly. I looked up abbreviations in AACR2 (oh, those cataloguing days!) and it gave me U.S. and I then put a "comma" after it because I am using Harvard style and somewhere in my Google search it told me to (sorry, I did not make a note of where I read this as at the time I did not know I would be writing on my adventures into the world of citation. From now on I will be sure to keep records of all sites I use).

Hopefully this will help. Good luck everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment